We've been under a tight deadline to finish some outstanding projects around the house, what with winter coming and no heat in the house and all. Then we found out Sean's dad and Carin were planning on a November junket to Iowa. This plan had been in place for awhile. It was meant to be a hunting trip for the boys, and a catch up and fuss over the new cottage event for the girls. Then Orion died last month and we figured Bill wouldn't make the trip at all. He called last week and said they were still planning on coming, they'd be here the 14th. Holy Cow. I was thrown into my "Oh, my God, everything must be finished and perfect before they arrive" mode and have gotten a lot done in a week. The charming Vermont Castings gas stove was installed, I finished the shelving in the laundry room, bought a sweet and yet practical window bench/storage unit for the dining room, bought rugs, put the privacy "glass" film on the bathroom windows, started on the curtains, bought the remaining rods we needed, framed photos and hung them, figured out a system and installed it for my jewelry, started finishing the beadboard in the hallway, took out the screens and put in the storm windows, and our friend Jon buttoned up the rest of the electrical stuff in the bedrooms and is finishing the light fixture for the living room...WOW, nothing like a little in-law visit to put a fire under you, huh?
Last night Sean's dad called to tell us they can't make the trip. They are in the midst of building their dream cottage and it's almost done, so we can't blame them. We were actually more surprised that they were still going to try to make the trip at all. I am terribly disappointed, though, that we won't get to see them. It's our chance to have Sean's family during the holiday season. Selfishly, I was looking forward to a little father-in-law time for me while I am missing my father. And, boy, we sure were gettiing things done with the impending visit pushing us along. I do hope we keep up the motivation to finish these outstanding projects so we can finally feel like we are at a finishing point. I also hope we can get something on the schedule for another visit so we have something to look forward to. Maybe I can turn it into a game to see what I can get done by the 14th anyway. Get the door hung on the bathroom, finish the guestbedroom, finish the hearth around the fireplace, new handles on the new bench, finish curtains... or maybe tonight I'll just go home and curl up in front of my new "fire" and read a book until I have a date for the next visiting guest. *sigh*
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment