Thursday, December 11, 2008

Lots of tidbits

We have been so busy- and I have not been doing a good job of staying on top of my writing here.

We finally finished our birthing classes. Our teacher was pretty good, but the material covered seem to just glean the surface of some many important issues. Our class was really quiet, too. i was hoping to make some friends and stay connected on this next journey, but I could barely make eye contact with the women. I'm not sure why. I talked with the teacher on the last night after everyone left and she agreed- it was a very quiet and private group of people. No offense, but this is our opportunity to NOT be private on such a delicate topic. Oh, well. I think S learned a lot, as he has not kept up with reading the books and doing research like I have, so most of the info was new to him. The breast feeding class we took was much better and very informative. I really hope

I had my baby shower on Saturday. It was really nice. I felt spoiled and was really glad my friend had convinced me to do one. I do not really like being the center of attention-all the fuss, and gifts, seem like too much, but I was very grateful everyone took time out of their busy holiday schedules to have lunch with me and talk all about their own experiences. My mom came over for the entire weekend, too, for the shower mainly, but we begged her to stay longer. It was so nice to have her around for the extra 2 days.

On Sunday we ended up going into the hospital. I didn't feel the baby move all day Saturday, Saturday night, and then into the morning on Sunday, so I went in. Of course, on the way in, the little monkey started swinging from the trees again, but we went in anyway. Things checked out OK. Heart rate still continues to have those drop-offs. But at this point they want me to go longer so the lungs continue to develop. It was a good test run to the hospital, though, and Mom was with us so she now knows where to park and where to find us on the big day.

Tuesday I was back for another NST and that revealed much of what we already have seen, with the only change being the mean heart rate being lower, 118-120 now, which is concerning, but they didn't freak out. Just means that we continue to be watchful. My regular OB was out so I saw a different OB and didn't care for her. I can't wait to see my regular OB next week.

Other than that, I'm hanging in there. I do NOT know how those of you with twins made it through the last weeks of pregnancy. Seriously, this is not much fun anymore. I didn't really know that it would/could be this painful in the end. The lack of sleep and discomfort really take its toll. I know I'll make it, and I'm grateful to be here. Those little lungs need me to ideally hold out another 2 weeks. One day at a time.

I have finally had the absolute unpleasant experience of someone telling me I look oh, so BIG. Really, shouldn't that be a crime? Why would anyone day such a thing to a fragile hormonal pregnant lady? I felt like crying all night, and when S asked me about going to his company's Christmas party, I think my eyes did well up with tears. Forget it. I'd prefer not leaving the house right now. Stupid, stupid people AND hormones. Maybe I'm looking at this all wrong, perhaps I could don the Santa outfit and be the hit of the party??

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just wait until postpartum for the Santa comparison -- although I hope your baby hangs in there until after Christmas! -- when I laugh, my belly truly jiggles like a bowl full of jelly. It's embarrassing!

Hang in there! The end of pregnancy is rough no matter how many babies are on board. I only made it to 36.5 weeks and I was so frustrated at the end.

2roads said...

Ellen-You are my hero. Thanks for your comments. : )

Mirabel's Parents said...

wow, you are certainly having a very eventful third trimester! you really are in the home stretch now! i'm so glad to hear that you are taking care of yourself - and had fun at your shower! :)